June 05, 2005

For the Love of God, or Transparency, or My Sanity... or Bacon is the Soul of Brevity

Could everyone please cut down the blogging, just a tad?

I mean, there is so much going on. Geez. I know! How about we take even license plates and odd license plates, and promise to only blog on the corresponding even and odd days? If you own two cars, then pick one as your blogger license plate and stick with it.

You know, editing is a kind of respect for your audience. Kevin Marks made his Bacon movie only 16 seconds, but it took work, he says. If it were a podcast, it'd be 20 minutes.

For my sanity. Please. It's kiling me. I have three hundred feeds to read, and about 14 hours a day of work, and I have to work out, and meet with people, and socialize a little. And cook something to eat, maybe sleep. And I have to get it all done in only 24 hours. And you would all be helping enormously if you would just cut things down a smidge.

Brevity. It's a saving grace. Run with it.

Posted by Mary Hodder at June 5, 2005 11:39 PM | TrackBack
Comments

This might be a controversial suggestion but.. unsubscribe from feeds that are unnecessarily wordy? I had to unsubscribe from Scoble recently for this reason. There was just way too much.

Posted by: Peter Cooper at June 7, 2005 07:21 PM

Not entirely necessary, Peter. I still subscribe to Scoble but pick out what seems interesting, its easier.. Robert knows the value of a headline becuase he too 'has to' 'read' hundreds of blogs a day... then again, 300 may be a bit much. ;-)

Posted by: Devin Reams at June 7, 2005 09:49 PM

On my blog, CONTENTIOUS, my posts tend to be 500+ words -- a bit on the long side of the blog spectrum. However, I rarely post more than once daily, and I often take several days off at a time.

I think there's a pervasive myth that bloggers should post daily, preferably several times daily. Yuck. Quality over quantity, please! It's not so much about the length of individual posts (although that can be the case for some bloggers), but rather only blogging when you really have something worth saying.

IMHO, of course

- Amy Gahran
Editor, CONTENTIOUS

Posted by: Amy Gahran at June 8, 2005 10:09 AM

Nice. It's not about word count, it's about making words count. Woodrow Wilson said it well:

"If I am to speak ten minutes, I need a week for preparation; if fifteen minutes, three days; if half an hour, two days; if an hour, I am ready now."

It's not easy being concise, but it's worth the effort...!

Posted by: Rich...! at June 12, 2005 03:13 AM

Some of us find that on our blog we are unable to prevent (withhold?) ourselves from being the essayists that we are . . . and the freedom of blogs enables and allows us to do so.

I tend to post essay-length entries. It has been suggested to me that this actually cuts down on my readership. No problem, I can live with that.

But the oddness of blogging is always there to surprise us. I write a post that I think will be of little or no interest or consequence, and it gets a zillion reads, via referrals, search hits, or other bloggers linking over. Then I don't post for days at a time, and the daily hits seems to go hog wild.

And then I post regularly for a period, and the daily hits seem to decrease. So what's the secret sauce here, to post lengthy essays once every four, five or six days?

Let the madness continue!

Posted by: Dean Landsman at June 19, 2005 12:39 AM